Engineered by the ITV2 programme ‘The Big Reunion’, this week sees the reunion of some famous late-’90s and early-’00s bands at various venues across London.
In the line up includes former ‘Top Of The Pops’ regulars Five, Atomic Kitten, B*Witched, 911, Liberty X and The Honeyz.
In loving memory of these bands here at Yumi HQ we decided to take a look back at the music that defined the era, as well as some fashion trends we would rather forget.
1. Double Denim. Currently having a revival, this trend dies a death after Justin and Britney and pop band B*Witched went double denim crazy!
2. Skousers, demonstrated here by Lisa from Steps were a skirt / trouser hybrid that became popular in the early 90’s and haven’t been seen since.
3. Shiny PVC. Again demonstrated by Steps, this shiny, squeaky PVC in bright colours became the outfit of choice for five piece boy and girl bands alike
4. Two piece suits with VERY short skirts were made famous by Hilary from the Fresh Prince and Cher from Clueless. Best worn with knee high socks and a big hat.
5. Bum bags and Bubble bags – remember them – were to the 90’s what a perspex clutch is to 2013.
6. Shell Suits or Adidas poppers / Kappa poppers. If you were a child of the 90’s you probably had a pair, or ten.
7. Velour tracksuits. The wag outfit of choice these were the height of fashion in the early noughties, the more blinged up the better!
8. Buffalo boots. Made popular by the Spice Girls these wedges reached extra-ordinary heights in the 90’s. The modern version, the wedge high top is the new, chic incarnation.
And finally the 90’s trends making a comeback this year (and yes we will be wearing them) are crop tops and dungarees!