Ah, breakfast in bed. For some, it’s a distant memory of relaxing on the weekend or even waking up at a reasonable time, and for others it’s a time to set your kitchen on fire – not literally. In fact, we believe it’s the most important meal of the week; it’s personal and a well-deserved pat on the back for making it across the finishing line. Plus, it’s brought to you in bed…you don’t even have to move a muscle. And that’s why we’ve fallen back in love with Saturday mornings.
But enough is enough. Too long have we made do with a bowl of cereal or a burnt piece of toast. We’ve fallen slaves to the mundane breakfast ritual and that’s not how your weekends deserve to be treated. So, instead of waiting for a birthday or Valentine’s Day, try putting a spin on things you already have in your cupboard by following our recipe for Croque Madame (with a twist). Bon appetite!
We know that – with it being the weekend – it’s probably that you’ve not done your weekly shop, which is why all our ingredients are bare-fridge friendly. Here they are:
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 slices of ham
- 6 slices of Emmental cheese
- Grated Emmental cheese
- 2 eggs
For the béchamel sauce:
- 20g of flour
- 20g of unsalted butter
- 25cl of milk
- In the following order, layer one of the slices of bread with: cheese, ham, cheese. Then, complete the sandwich with another piece of bread. Repeat this so you have two sandwiches.
- For the sauce, bring the milk to the boil. Then melt the butter in a separate pan. Add in the flour and make a white roux by whisking it with the boiling milk. On a medium heat, cook it for a short while and season it with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. At the same time, fry and egg.
- Return to your sandwiches and place them on a non-stick tray (or use a baking sheet). Cover them in the sauce and throw on some of the grated cheese. Brown them under a grill until they are visibly cooked.
- Serve them with the egg placed on top.
If you want to see our recipe for making something sweeter, click here.